Megan Evans

Megan Evans

Megan was a lovely young girl taken from this Earth too eary from a tragic accident caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Know the dangers of this gas, which is omitted by all engines.

 

A New Law to Help

Please support Arizona House Bill 2024. The measure would require that any new or used motorized boat in the state have stickers affixed at the controls and near the rear of the watercraft warning of the dangers of carbon-monoxide poisoning. Arizona's Motor Vehicles Division would issue an informational brochure with each boat newly registered. The bill would also prohibit occupying the rear swim deck, hanging onto the platform or swimming near the exhaust ports while the engine is running - activities that put the individual at greatest risk for carbon-monoxide poisoning. Fines may be added to bolster the legislation.

 

Carbon Monoxide is the most toxic substance you'll come into contact with in your daily life - in your home, at work, garage, car, caravan and boat.

 

Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars. Fetuses, infants, elderly people, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible. Be safe. Practice the DO’s and DON’Ts of carbon monoxide.

 

 

Megan Evans Memorial Cause

"Megan's Cause"

 

Megan Elizabeth Evans, only 7 years old, of Flagstaff, died suddenly Saturday, July 7, 2007, following a tragic accident while on a family trip to Lake Powell. While beached at a cove, Megan and a friend, Kayleen, were playing in the water behind the boats in which their families had arrived. Like so many other kids having fun at the lake, all was happy. The day was clear and sunny, the air warm and calm. The families of the girls were a mere stone's throw away.

 

The engines of both boats were running with the propellers disengaged to recharge their batteries. As they ran, they emitted carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas. Because there was no wind that day, the gas hovered around the boats making the air toxic. Both girls unknowingly inhaled large quantities of carbon monoxide. Kayleen's mother went to check on the girls as the laughter had stoppehttp://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1352867565d. What she found was a parent's worst fear - her daughter was unconscious in the water. The group of people immediately tried to help her regain consciousness. Eventually, Kayleen responded and was saved. The parametics and National Park Service were called.

 

In all the commotion, the parents had thought they had heard that Megan had climbed aboard the boat, but she had not. Megan had also inhaled a large amount of carbon monoxide and like her friend had passed out. Her body was found in the water. Megan was medivaced to Page Hospital, however, she succumbed to drowning, caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

"Megan's Cause" has been established for the express purpose of education, awareness, safety and prevention of carbon monoxide poisoining in kids at Lake Powell. All donations will be used for the purpose of preventing such tragedies to other people, and specifically children.

 

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced by all motors. Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can become trapped near the swim platform of some boats, or anywhere near the engine's exhaust. The lake's houseboating community has been working to eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning through education and the manufacture of vertically vented exhaust systems. Carbon monoxide was responsible for 12 deaths and more than 100 non-fatal poisonings in a 10-year period through 2002 in Glen Canyon NRA.

 

Evans FamilyMegan's family and friends would like to help prevent other families from suffering the loss of a loved one to carbon monoxide poisoning and have set up the Megan Evans Memorial Cause to raise awareness of this unseen danger. Donations can be made through Chase Bank. The Chase bank account number is 747 011 039. Thank you for your support.